- We are facing an unprecedented global climate emergency. Planet earth faces grave risks.
- The planet is in ecological crisis. We are in the midst of the sixth mass extinction event earth has experienced. Scientists believe we have entered a period of abrupt climate breakdown.
- The earth’s atmosphere is already over 1°C warmer than pre-industrial levels. The chances of staying below the 2°C warming agreed in the Paris agreement are receding by the day.
- Recent projections show we are on course for 3°C of warming and potentially higher. Children alive today in the UK will face floods, wildfires, extreme weather, crop failures and the breakdown of society as the pressures on land and resources increase.
- Humanity is unprepared for the danger our future holds.
- The time for denial is over – we know the truth about climate change and we know the truth about the ecological crisis.
- Extinction Rebellion includes about 100 academics who include the former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams.
BPEC will continue to inform our supporters about the activities of the Extinction Rebellion in the UK or abroad as well as the Brighton Affinity Group.